At the Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library, we are dedicated to enriching the lives of the communities in Zionsville and Whitestown, Indiana. Our team is at the forefront of library services, embracing modern technologies, creating innovative amenities, and delivering personalized, up-to-date programs. We foster collaboration, knowledge-sharing, and entertainment throughout our community. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Team members are assigned a “primary library location” to provide consistency for their day-to-day work-life. There will be times that team members are asked to assist at their non-primary location or at community events. This position’s assigned primary library location is at the Whitestown Library.
Under general supervision and direction of the Outreach Services Department Head, this role performs a variety of circulation, programming, and clerical functions to ensure public access to the library’s resources and services in a friendly manner. You will manage the Bookmobile operations, including loading and unloading, driving, conducting offsite programming to engage the community, and basic maintenance to contribute to a seamless and enriching library experience for our outreach patrons.
Outreach and Engagement
- Conduct off-site library visits with the Bookmobile, handling card registration, providing library materials, and offering reference and advisory services.
- Participate in offsite community events to promote the library and outreach services, fostering community engagement.
- Drive the Bookmobile to various locations as scheduled and for necessary repairs and preventative maintenance.
- Perform outreach and teaching digital resources and library services in schools.
Customer Service & Program Development
- Provide excellent customer service, contributing to a patron-focused culture within the department.
- Keep knowledge current on the library’s collection, events, and processes, ensuring effective dissemination of information during interactions.
- Communicate with supervisors and staff, providing input and ideas related to community outreach, programming, and partnerships.
- Maintain a lively atmosphere on the Bookmobile by creating displays or decorating with library themes.
- Assist in maintaining the library’s equipment and vehicles, promptly reporting maintenance issues and ensuring the safety and protection of outreach vehicles and equipment.
- Record statistics related to the Outreach Services Department.
- Attend staff and department meetings, possibly taking meeting minutes.
- Assist with staffing public service desks within the Library facilities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS AND PREFERENCES
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Possess one year or more of experience in public service, customer service, or similar environment.
- Have at least one year of Library experience.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to quickly learn and adapt to new software and technologies.
- Hold a valid driver’s license that is in good standing or have the ability to obtain one within one month of hire.
- Be able to successfully pass a standard criminal background and driving record check.
- Physical Demands: This position requires physical demands, including reading, writing, maintaining hand-eye coordination, standing, sitting, walking, bending, crawling, climbing, pushing, pulling, and lifting items weighing 15-20 pounds.
Employees are expected to perform the job duties listed with or without accommodation, if accommodation is needed, they should request it through the appropriate channels.