Are you running a business or thinking about hanging a shingle?
Running your own business provides many perks over a regular 9-to-5 job. However, with great reward comes along great responsibility. One of your responsibilities as an independent professional is marketing yourself effectively to provide for your business and family.
Follow these tips to market yourself like an expert, even if you're fresh out of the 9-to-5 workforce:
- Go for it. If all you do is dream up marketing schemes, you'll miss the opportunities to implement them. Instead, create one solid marketing plan and stick to it. Tweak your tactics according to your results.
- A marketing plan generally includes several marketing techniques, so choose several of your best ideas and start implementing them today. The faster you get out there and start peddling your business, the sooner you'll begin to increase your revenue.
- Exude confidence. When you're confident, people tend to trust your professionalism more than someone who seems timid and unsure of himself.
- Present yourself with poise, professionalism, and ease. Always maintain confidence in the offerings of your business and your ability to succeed as an independent professional.
- Test different techniques. Spread your marketing efforts across a number of different channels. If one or two tactics are less successful, the success of other marketing efforts will keep your business afloat while you determine what gives you the best results.
- Network like a pro. Jump at the opportunity to attend networking events related to your industry. It's one of the best ways to find clients and make industry contacts that may hire you at a later date or recommend you to their colleagues.
- You may have to pay a fee to attend conventions or events, but they are often well worth the price. You're paying to chat with a roomful of your target clientele. Even one new customer may enable you to earn back the cost and then some.
- Always bring a large stack of business cards and prepare an elevator speech. Sometimes, you'll only get a few minutes to chat with potential big-budget clients. So leave a lasting impression by displaying professionalism and confidence.
- Do a bit of legwork to find out the proper dress code. It's best to be overdressed than underdressed, but you'll feel silly sitting in a room full of people in cardigans and khakis while you're in a black Armani business suit.
Marketing your business is an ongoing task that should be addressed regularly throughout the year. The more you market your business, the more you increase your exposure, make a name for yourself in the local community, and meet your financial goals.
Marketing is to your business what food is to the human body; it's impossible to survive without it. Begin implementing these tips today to find success in your marketing and increase your revenue to new heights.
Our Pathfinders program is a great way to help you consider the pros and cons of making a job search towards entrepreneurship. Attend a free webinar to learn a systematic way of thinking about this potential change.